New strain of flu


You go to see the doctor about a cough you've had for a while. The doctor selects you at random to have a blood test for a new strain of flu, which for the purposes of this exercise we will say is currently suspected to affect 1 in 10,000 people in the US. The test is 99% accurate, in the sense that the probability of a false positive is 1%. The probability of a false negative is zero. You test positive. What is the new probability that you have this strain of flu?


Access restricted

Subscribe to premium account to see the solution.

Get premium now